Quinoa and black beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup prepared quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen carrots/peas
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or fresh prepared)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into onion mixture and cover with vegetable broth; season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen veggies into the saucepan, and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes; mix in the black beans.
- Add dates and walnuts to mix and serve
Butternut Squash Coconut Chili
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 full carrots chopped
- 2 medium apples chopped (peeled)
- 2 cups of peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley and shredded unsweetened coconut (for garnish)
- Place all ingredients except garnishments in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours. During last hour taste and season with salt and pepper as desired (can add more chili pepper too or a pinch of cayenne pepper if you want it on the spicy side). In the last 30-45 min check to see if chili needs more vegetable broth and leave the lid off to let it thicken up.
- Serve over cooked quinoa or rice and garnish with fresh herbs and coconut.
•3 tsp turmeric
•2 tsp coriander
•2 tsp cumin
•2 tsp unrefined salt
•4-5 cloves garlic, minced
•1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp dried ginger powder)
•2 tbsp vegetable broth
•1 cup vegetable broth
•1 and 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
•3 medium carrots, chopped
•1 red pepper, diced
• 1 bag frozen peas
•8-10 medium zucchinis, spiralized into noodles
•juice from 1 lemon
1- Combine turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt, chopped garlic, and grated ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
2- In a large skillet or pot over medium/high heat, sauté spices using the vegetable broth and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Then add the rest of the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Stir to combine.
3- Add in carrots, peas and red pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add zucchini noodles and cook for another 5 minutes.
4- Squeeze in lemon juice and dig in! Can be served over brown rice or quinoa.